Monday 21 July 2008

Wenger, Hleb, Nasri, tomorrows match

So after the Barnet game Wenger said we could expects signings, but he was unsure as to how many and where. Later in an interview with BBC London this turned out to mean one certain signing, and a maximum of two (click here for full article and radio recording of the interview).
My initial reaction to these comments was "what the fuck? only one guaranteed signing and at maximum two???" This initially seemed ludicrous to me given our outgoings so far this summer. After a day or so I settled down somewhat and could see the light of day again, maybe Arsene was speaking sense after all.... I based on the following (plus the fact my disgust always disappears after a day or two);

1. The signing is going to be of the highest quality.
2. Given the arrivals of Nasri and Vela, the season of experience gained by Walcott and Eboue, the bionic leg gained by our Czech Sick Roy, and the possible use of Traore we are stronger outwide than we were last season. Maybe we don't know so much about the likes of Nasri, Vela, and Traore on the wing but the depth seems to be there, we seem to have more options and don't need to automatically turn to the likes of Diaby to fill in outwide. If you consider Traore might play there in the Carling Cup perhaps, plus Gibbs might get in the Carling Cup squads too we seem to be moving in the right direction.
3. Based on the above we only need to sign a partner for Cesc (yes I WOULD like a GK or CB but given Wengers comments at the start of the summer that he would not sign either I had already written this off). We can't really sign in any other positions without being over subscribed, the squad is not as small as yo might think.
4. Arsene Wenger does ultimately know better than me (well ok... let just say 'probably)... I just hate his transfer activity at times... I mean not the signings, he is a master, but he is a sneaky bastard when it comes to revealing his targets. As I'm sure you will agree this can get really annoying for the fans who want to be put out of their misery, but I guess we benefit in the end from signing the player at a non-inflated price and without the transfer being poached.
5. We do have the squad, its there, maybe Gary Lewin leaving for his England post might lift some kind of injury voodoo curse and we might not actually pick up so many on the sick room for once!


Alex Hleb has come out with some unnecessary comments about Cesc. Well done Hleb, we already know Cesc loves Barca, but why come out with these kind of comments? It shows no respect for Arsenal (yes Alex, the team who paid your wages over the past 3 years!) to come out with comments like this, and for what? A tiny bit of kudos with the Barca fans before he annoys the fuck out of them with his 'no shoot' policy... good riddens I say, I don't like to get bitter at players leaving Arsenal, its just childish, but this is disrespectful to Arsenal and I sincerely hope his career goes down the proverbial pan at Barca.

Samir Nasri commenced his Arsenal career today as all the big boys (except Cesc) started their preseason training too. Maybe we will get a glimpse of Nasri in a friendly next week, but I don't think we can expect to see him in tomorrows match (although I would love to see it). Adebayor was at training today, I wonder how the feeling was towards him in the dressing room? Will this summers saga have had an effect on him within the squad? Lets hope not, but who knows... hopefully today will have been about Nasri meeting the squad rather than Adebayor dragging his feet onto the training ground.

Tomorrows match sees Arsenal step onto the pitch to face the mighty... *drum roll*... Szombathelyi Haladas... *du dum*. Who, the, fuck?... who knows? I certainly don't, and I also don't know what kind of squad is likely to be fielded. I am assuming it will be quite similar to Saturdays team, however I doubt he will have taken so many of the second half subs to Hungary. Young guns have suggested that Wenger is likely to have taken a lot more of the youngsters than he would have in previous years. Normally he would take 2-3 with him however this time he will have taken a lot more (I guess we will find out who tomorrow), presumably to filter out those who are and aren't ready to join the first team.
Hopefully we will see some more of Ramsey, Wilshere, Barazite and I wouldn't mind seeing Simpson and Randall again too. If you plan on watching tomorrows match it kicks off at 17.30 and is on ATVO and the Setanta Arsenal channel. I mean who would pass up a chance to see Szombathelyi Haladas if nothing else.

No comments: